Friday, March 12, 2010

Chris Nolan on Batman 3, Inception, the eventual new Superman movie

Via the L.A. Times and io9.com:

Inception, which opens July 16, stars Leonardo DiCaprio as a "dream thief of sorts in what may be Hollywood’s first metaphysical heist film."

It looks like his third Batman film (which Nolan may or may not hands-on direct) will cap the Bat with a definite trilogy finale:
"I’m very excited about the end of the film, the conclusion, and what we’ve done with the characters,” Nolan said.“My brother has come up with some pretty exciting stuff. Unlike the comics, these things don’t go on forever in film and viewing it as a story with an end is useful. Viewing it as an ending, that sets you very much on the right track about the appropriate conclusion and the essence of what tale we’re telling."
And when it comes to updating/rebooting/juicing up Warner's Superman franchise, this sort of news will always perk my ears up. I love, almost beyond my wife's eye-roll tolerance, the first two Christopher Reeves films. I am among the (apparently few) champions of 2006's Superman Returns (despite some caveats). So, yep, call me a fanboy, from way back and in multiple media, of that last son of Krypton in kinky boots. So I'm already jazzed about this one even though it's way early in the game and we have until "2012 or 2013 at best" before we see it. (I'm for a complete break from the previous continuity, a fresh start, a modern full-blooded approach to the depth and breadth of Clark/Supes as a character, and a truly frightening, challenging villain. Nolan, baby, call me.
Still, it was a frustrating moment in the Batman franchise that led to this new Superman revival. Nolan and Goyer, a key collaborator on both Batman films, were at a story impasse on the third Batman film (which is now picking up steam as well) when, as a distraction, Goyer gave the filmmaker a daydream version of how he would tackle a story about the last son of Krypton.

“He basically told me, ‘I have this thought about how you would approach Superman,’” Nolan recalled. “I immediately got it, loved it and thought: That is a way of approaching the story I’ve never seen before that makes it incredibly exciting. I wanted to get Emma and I involved in shepherding the project right away and getting it to the studio and getting it going in an exciting way.”


Goyer is now writing the screenplay and Nolan is keeping it close to the vest.




Music: main title, Touch of Evil (Crime Jazz:Music in the First Degree)
Near at hand: Fargo snow-globe